Pledge by Arbor Day Foundation
Time for TreesTotal Trees Pledged: 100,000,000
Supporting actions: Data and Technological Tools, Tree Protection through Management, Workforce Development, Environmental Education, Conservation Finance,
Planting trees is core to the Arbor Day Foundation mission. It’s what we’ve always done, spanning five decades. We plant with purpose and scale — for the planet, and because the beneficiaries of those trees and forests are people. In realizing our vision of being a trusted leader in creating worldwide recognition and use of trees as a solution to global issues, it has become clear that our well-established stewardship programs have great influence and lasting impact – for the planet and for people. Trees change peoples lives. Trees provide the necessities of life itself. There must be clean air to breathe and healthy water to drink. People need a climate that’s tolerable. They need communities that ensure their personal health and well-being. Wildlife habitat and entire ecosystems are critically dependent on abundant trees and forests. These are global issues that demand a global response, and at an unprecedented scale.
If ever there was a time to plant trees, now is that time. The need to address climate change and protect the necessities of life for humankind is profound. That’s why the Arbor Day Foundation, the largest operating 501(c)3 nonprofit organization dedicated to planting trees, is compelled to continue to increase the scale and impact of tree planting and reforestation. Our Time for Trees® initiative is in full swing with the ambitious goals of planting 100 million trees in forests and communities and inspiring five million tree planters to carry the initiative.
At our core, the Arbor Day Foundation has strength in our long-standing and growing networks of partners around the globe. We serve as a convener, a connector, and a catalyst to align the right organizations to ensure the best work and the greatest impact. From government agencies to public, private, and professional associations – from more than 700,000 members and donors to our Alliance for Community Tree program, a network of more than 150 local nonprofit tree planting organizations – from the network of cities and towns recognized through our Tree City USA and Tree Cities of the World programs to more than 200 corporate partners including global Fortune 500 companies among our Evergreen Alliance cadre of sustainability leaders, the Arbor Day Foundation is poised to convene these networks of partners to lead transformational change in helping to solve global issues.
Never has there been a more urgent need for trees to protect people and our planet. The Arbor Day Foundation is enthusiastically helping to drive the current tree planting movement through our 100 million tree Time for Trees® initiative. We applaud the World Economic Forum’s 1t.org platform for shining a spotlight on the vital need for trees and commit to advancing the ambition and aspiration of citizens, governments, and corporate leaders to achieve these transformational goals.
The Arbor Day Foundation works with hundreds of public and private partners to advance our mission and plant trees across the globe, including:
- More than 700,000 individual members
- Government and non-government collaborators such as the National Association of State Foresters, USDA Forest Service, American Forest Foundation, National Fish and Wildlife Foundation, The Nature Conservancy and many more.
- More than 200 corporate leaders and partners including our Evergreen Alliance that are committed to helping us create great change through the Time for Trees initiative. The Evergreen Alliance includes: Bank of America, Bass Pro Shops, Brambles/CHEP, Church & Dwight, Exelon, FedEx, Hershey, International Paper, Marriott, Mary Kay, Oncor, Procter & Gamble, PWC, Target, TD Bank, UPS, Verizon, Wyndham Destinations.
The Arbor Day Foundation seeks diverse partnerships. Alignment with our mission, vision, and core values leads to successful projects and outcomes. We use four guiding principles to identify high-quality and credible partnerships for our work.
• We act with character and integrity.
• Plant the right tree, at the right time, in the right place, for the right purpose.
• Respect, empower and benefit local people and communities.
• We align to science-based frameworks and goals.
43,407,766 MT CO2e